Breaking News

World TB day 2023: KNSG expands of TB treatment facilities to over one thousand in 2022 – Dr. Tsanyawa

By: Mukhtar Yahaya Shehu

Kano state government has released the state TB and Leprosy counterpart funds for TB and Leprosy activities in the state.

The state commissioner for Health Dr Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa stated this during the press briefing on the commemoration of the world TB day 2023.

He said Kano state government in collaboration with partners has been doing well in reducing the burden of TB and Leprosy control activities, which includes expansion of TB treatment facilities called Direct observed Treatment short course (DOTs) from 381 in 2017 to 1,346 in 2023 as well as the release of the state TB and Leprosy counterpart funds for TB and Leprosy control activities.

“According to the national statistics last year TB burden was 34,444 cases while state was able to notify 26,377 representing 77 percent which is highest ever notification in Nigeria”. The commissioner said

Dr Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa further said the 2022 Global TB report shows that 69 million lives saved between 2000 and 2001 through global effort to end TB.

” The report also showed that 10.6 million people fell ill with Tuberculosis and 1.6 million people died of TB including 218,000 people living with HIV/AIDS world wide.”

“Nigeria is 6th among the 30 countries with highest TB burden in world and 1st in Africa with burden of 469,000 people who fell ill with TB. The country was able to notify 262,000 representing 56 percent please with TB, leaving 205,000 representing 44 percent not diagnosed and or not notified (missing TB cases).” He explained.

The theme of this year’s day is “yes we can end TB” and the slogan is “get involved”

Leave a Comment